Dear Parents and Friends,
I cannot believe it is already August! I am eager to get the school year off to a good start for your child. Here is some basic information to help inform you of typical routines in my classroom. If something is not clear, or if you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.
The first day of school is notorious for a thick packet of forms to be filled out. However, this is important information and we do need all paper work back by Thursday, August 8th.
To avoid mix-ups, please label items like jackets, sweaters, backpacks, lunch boxes with your child’s name or initials. Thanks!
Home/School Folder Communication
Your child will have a homework binder that will need to be returned daily. In the mornings, your child will get into the routine of checking his/her folder for any notes, lunch money, etc. and putting these in a designated space. At the end of the day your child will put any notices or papers to go home in the folder.
Changes in transportation and Early Dismissal
- If your child’s way of getting home changes for whatever reason, please send in a note telling us if your child is to ride a different bus, is car pick up, etc. We ask that you do not call the school for routine changes in transportation unless it is an emergency.
- All changes must be made before 2:00 p.m. No changes will be made after that time.
- If you know ahead of time that your child will be absent or picked up early for appointments, etc., please send in a note.
- Always stop in the office before picking up your child in the classroom. You will receive a dismissal slip once your I.D. has been checked and pick-up list has been reviewed. Please do not come to the classroom to pick your child up without this slip. I apologize, but the safety of the student is my first priority and I will not allow them to go with you without a dismissal slip (even if you are on the pick-up list).
- In the mornings just pull your car in front of the office and someone with a Powell County School I.D. will be there to escort your child into the building.
- We all appreciate your cooperation with these policies. They are designed with your child’s safety in mind.
- We have a daily snack break around 2:00. Students will be assigned a snack day every month. I will do my best to have your child’s snack day on their birthday. We encourage healthy snack choices (fruits and veggies are perfect). Trading or sharing food is not allowed. This eliminates any problems with dietary concerns, food allergies, and so on.
- Lunch is served every day.
- Packed Lunch
- Please do not send the following:
· Soda (pop)
· Food from restaurant (in original packaging)
· Food that needs to be heated
I understand that birthdays are fun to celebrate. However, please remember that there are a lot of students with allergies to different kinds of food. Please, speak with me before bringing in special treats for your child’s birthday. Also, I ask that you leave birthday gifts and balloons for home. We only have abou 10 minutes designated for snack time. Thank you.
A Day: P.E. (please wear appropriate shoes)
B Day: Computer
C Day: Library
D Day: Guidance
I welcome volunteers in our classroom! Please check with Mr. Gary Morton in the Family Resource Center (FRC) for more details.